Press Release: Operation Hammond kicks off its AEDs for Nerds fundraiser
7/21/14: Operation Hammond kicks off it?s AEDs for Nerds fundraiser
Operation Hammond is kicking off an AEDs for Nerds fundraiser today! Our goal is to raise 2,000 dollars to buy an Automatic External Defibrillator. When seconds count, these life-saving machines are one of the only tools that can keep a heart beating. With an operating budget of about $8000 a year we simply do not have the funds to buy AEDs outright. As the country’s leading social medical charity for nerds, having one of these life saving machines is vital to the safety of all people that staff and attend pop culture and nerd conventions. AEDs are truly one of the only things that bystanders and first aiders can use to save someone’s life in the time of ultimate need during a sudden cardiac arrest.
Did you know that:
- More than 350,000 Americans die each year from Sudden Cardiac Arrest
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest is a major public health problem and leading cause of death in the United States
- The most common cause of Sudden Cardiac Arrest is ventricular fibrillation – when the heart’s electrical impulses become irregular and the heart is unable to pump oxygen-rich blood through the body
- Currently, a person who suffers Sudden Cardiac Arrest in the US, outside of a hospital, has just better than a 6% chance of survival
- Once a victim has suffered a cardiac arrest, every minute that passes before returning the heart to a normal rhythm decreases the chance of survival by 10%
- AEDs are one of the only devices that can correct a sudden cardiac arrest outside of a hospital.
About Operation Hammond: Operation Hammond is a non-profit organization of like-minded individuals within the anime, sci-fi, fantasy and pop culture convention community dedicated to bringing awareness of first aid, emergency preparedness and training to people who attend and staff anime, sci-fi, fantasy and pop culture conventions. They are North America’s only social medical charity for nerds. They have done over 25 events/shows in six U.S. states and Canada. For more infomation please visit www.OperationHammond.com