Pop culture and nerd conventions are busy places with people of all walks of life. With so many like-minded people all crammed into a single space, it can be challenging to stay healthy. Conventions and events no matter the size can take a toll on your body and health.
Conventions and events are exciting places and full of people and fun things to do. It’s important that everyone remembers to take care of themselves. When you go out to conventions and events it is important that you remember The Big Four.
Remember to eat at least three meals a day. Make sure that the food you eat is nutritious and wholesome. Skipping or rushing meals is unwise and will run your mind and body down. This is a key contributor to body fatigue, weakness, and exhaustion.
Remember to get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. Sleep deprivation is a leading cause of fatigue which can lead to bodily injury. Getting a good night rest is key to having energy and motivation during conventions and events.
Be sure to wash your hands often. Hand washing is your front line defense against getting sick or catching the dreaded con sickness! Lastly please be sure to shower and bath each day with soap and water. Trust us when we say your fellow convention friends and attendees will thank you.
Dehydration and lack of water are a key cause of convention fatigue. It is vital you drink plenty of water anytime you’re at a convention or event.
Tips and tricks to stay alert, healthy and safe during nerd and pop culture Conventions
- Carry a water bottle with you. Having water at your fingertips will help ward off thirst. It’s also handy to be able to drink water anytime.
- Carry snacks and munchies to eat throughout the day. Nothing like snacking on some Pocky or crackers while waiting in line for guests and panels.
- Carry hand sanitizer with you for those times when you can’t wash your hands. No one wants to catch Con plague.
- Wear comfortable shoes and rest often. You will be doing a lot of standing and walking during conventions. Your feet will thank you for wearing comfy shoes.
- If so inclined be sure use deodorant and carry some around with you to use and or reapply during the day since it wears off over time.
- Have a bag to carry items you will need during the day. Often times it hard to get back to your car, hotel room etc to grab things. We highly recommend the Thinkgeek bag of holding- Con survival Edtion for this task.
By following The Big Four and these tips you will have a safe and healthy convention or event!
References: Mayo Clinic, Center for Diseases Control Hand Washing Info, National Sleep Foundation