Support our AED fundraiser *Updated*
You can also check out these cool ebay Auctions. 100% of the proceeds of the Auction will go to support our AED Fundraiser.
When seconds count, these life-saving machines are one of the only tools that can keep a heart beating. With an operating budget of about $8000 a year we simply do not have the funds to buy AEDs outright. As the country?s leading social medical charity for nerds, having one of these life saving machines is vital to the safety of all people that staff and attend pop culture and nerd conventions. AEDs are truly one of the only things that bystanders and first aiders can use to save someone?s life in the time of ultimate need during a sudden cardiac arrest.
We have chosen to purchase the Defibtech LifeLine DDU-100A AED. This AED is unintimidating and simple for any one from a professional to a layperson?to use. The Defibtech LifeLine AED supports the current American Heart Association CPR protocol with simple easy to hear instructions. It’s highly visible design and tested to military standards for vibrations and shock. ?It’s award wining design is compact, portable and lightweight. The LifeLine AED has won numerous awards for it’s advanced design. The LifeLine AED will be the AED we deploy and purchase for all of our current and future brigades.
Did you know that:
- More than 350,000 Americans die each year from Sudden Cardiac Arrest
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest is a major public health problem and leading cause of death in the United States
- The most common cause of Sudden Cardiac Arrest is ventricular fibrillation ? when the heart?s electrical impulses become irregular and the heart is unable to pump oxygen-rich blood through the body
- Currently, a person who suffers Sudden Cardiac Arrest in the US, outside of a hospital, has just better than a 6% chance of survival
- Once a victim has suffered a cardiac arrest, every minute that passes before returning the heart to a normal rhythm decreases the chance of survival by 10%
- AEDs are one of the only devices that can correct a sudden cardiac arrest outside of a hospital.
For more info about what an AED is and how anyone can use one please check out this cool info-graphic